MSAE Credit Requirements
All MS students in the AE School pursue either a Non-Thesis or a Thesis degree, both of which require the completion of 33 credit-hours of coursework and research. Within this broad framework, you are encouraged to tailor your graduate program using the MSAE Degree Options as your guide.
For a view of all the possibilities, check out the AE Five-year Course Schedule .The chart and explanations, below, summarize the overall distribution of credit-hours that all MSAE students must follow.
|MS Credit-hour Requirements||MS without Thesis
(33 cr. hr. total)
|MS with Thesis
(33 cr. hr. total)
|AE Graduate Seminar||AE 8801*||AE8801*|
(not including thesis, research AE 8900)
NOTE: The AE School does not require its grad students take specific classes. Graduate students are expected work with their advisors to map out a rigorous and individualized educational program that includes research in one or more of the eight multidisciplinary research disciplines and meets the following requirements:
- AE8801 (1 credit-hour. P/F) is required during your first year in residence in the graduate program at Georgia Tech but it does not count toward the 33 credit-hours needed for your degree. This requirement is waived for Distance Learning students and all students who started the program before the Fall 2018 semester.
- Completion of at least six (6) credit-hours of mathematics;
- No more than nine (9) credit-hours may come from the Senior Undergraduate (4000) course level;
- Transfer students may bring no more than six (6) credit-hours from an accredited school in US or Canada. All transfer credit award decisions will be made by the Graduate Curriculum Committee;
- Graduate-level courses may be chosen from the current Georgia Tech course catalog, as well as from the appropriate Special Topics courses listed on the Registration page.
The preceding is a brief summary of the requirements and is not meant to cover all aspects of the curriculum. Students should visit the AE Graduate Handbook for a complete description of the requirements for the MSAE degree.