Job Opening: Lab Manager II
Decision: We hope to fill this position by mid-October, 2019. Apply now
Supervise operations of an instructional or research laboratory. Activities include instruction in lab procedures and safety, development of lab procedures and processes, conducting experiments, budgeting and purchasing, equipment and inventory maintenance and maintaining records. Responsible for setting employee goals, assessing performance and providing feedback and making pay recommendations.
Impact & Influence
This position will interact on a consistent basis with: academic and/or research faculty members, staff and students, laboratory staff, vendor/suppliers. This position typically will advise and counsel: lab users, students and technicians, student assistants. This position will supervise: laboratory technical staff.
- Provide instruction to lab users on proper use of lab equipment, lab safety, protocols and procedures related to conducting experiments.
- Develop and on approval administer laboratory budget; oversee purchase supplies and equipment and maintain related records.
- Supervise operations of laboratory facility in safe, clean and organized manner.
- Oversee scheduling of lab usage.
- Develop and implement laboratory policy and procedures; incorporate best practices as appropriate.
- Oversee calibration and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Plan and direct work of subordinate staff and assess performance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Oversee and manage the shared research laboratories, as well as the teaching laboratories
Education, Specialized Knowledge and Experience
Degrees required for this job : Bachelor's Degree in scientific field.
Degrees preferred for this job : Master's Degree
Years of experience required for this job : Six to seven years job related experience
Years preferred :
Certifications or licenses required for this job :
Certifications or licenses preferred :
Specialized skills required for this job : This job requires working knowledge of instructional or research laboratory operation to include equipment calibration and maintenance, laboratory processes and procedures and lab safety rules and practices. Skills in communication, customer service, supervision and instruction are required as is the use of specialty and general computer applications.
Specialized skills preferred : Required skills practiced in a university environment is preferred
Georgia Tech is an equal education/employment opportunity institution dedicated to building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. Georgia Tech has policies to promote a healthy work-life balance.